Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sleep it off.

I've had a long/rough day and I just really need to sleep it off.

This has been the longest week ever. The days are SO slow and get even slower the last hour of work.

My student has been out all week, with one tiny appearance on Tuesday.

I did get to meet her for a bit.

She's adorable and the sweetest girl. We're going to have a good time and many laughs. I can already tell.
When I was introducing myself, I asked her if she could say "Ms.Sanchez"
She looked at me and said "Of course" she thought about it for a bit and said "Ms.Sandwich"
I wanted to laugh out loud so bad, but I didn't want her to think I was laughing at her.
She is one of our verbal students, but still not so clear.
I have to say that it is quite humorous when the students are learning my name.
Through out the years I have gotten:
Ms.Chest, Ms.Sunkist, Ms.Sanji,and My all time fave- Ms.Sunchips.

This week, since my student has been absent, I've spent most of my time working with the other kids and getting to know them.
One student in particular you have to be super careful with.
You say or do something wrong to upset her, she quickly will turn on you.
This then turns into Punching, hitting, kicking, screaming, scratching, biting, spitting, cursing, pulling your hair or what ever is free to grab.

This was all stuff I was warned about on Monday before she arrived.
Well, today I got to experience all of that. It broke my heart.
It happened so fast, i'm not even sure what triggered it.
She quickly became upset, started spitting, super tight grip on the hair- it took 2 other people to get her to let go.
As soon as I was able to get away, she began punching herself and screaming so loud. It was awful. At that point, I didn't know what to do to calm her down.
I could tell she was trying to control herself, but she just couldn't do it.
As I was trying to calm her down, she was screaming and crying out "sorry sorry, good girl, good girl"

The other teachers said to leave her and let her get control of herself and that the more attention I gave her, she would only get worse.
As much as I hated to, I had to walk away.
Tears started to fill my eyes.
I felt helpless and annoyed that there was nothing I could do to calm her down.

I've experienced other meltdowns before and controlled them just fine. But this one was by far the worst I've ever seen.

Later on she snapped out of it and was happy as could be and acted like nothing ever happened.

I have to learn again what it's like to be in this environment again. I have to learn not to get so attached and so involved. Not to take things personally and most of all, toughen up and get control of myself before I handle the situation at that time.
Talk about draining.
It can only get better from here...right?

At this time, it is way past my bed time and I'm ready to crash.

2 comments:

Erin Ludlow said...

Sounds like we are both being tested in our classrooms. I have a little guy who's parents are fighting for custody of him, his mom is most likely bi-polar and there is possible abuse. Today he needed to sit on the carpet and he just started crying and screaming at me and then kicking me. Unlike you I was able to wrap my arms around him and just love him. The next thing I know he is just sobbing in my arms. I cried with him a little and then he wouldn't leave my side until I got him settled for nap time. I'm praying for you. You have an amazing heart that just glows love and these kids are going to see that - Ms. Sandwich. I'm Miss Ren. Love you.

Anonymous said...

don't stop care, Ms. Sandwich. <3 <3